Effective March 21, 2014.
Information We Collect and How We Use It
We may store the information you submit to or through the Services, as well as information we collect in connection with your use of the Services.
We use the information to provide analytics and feedback for our business customers; to improve the Services’ functionality and quality; track usage of the Services; display relevant advertising; provide customer support; message you; back up our systems and allow for disaster recovery; enhance the security of the Services; and comply with legal obligations.
Among the information we collect, please note:
- Account Information. If you create a user account on DropThought, we may store and use your full name, e-mail address, your gender and birth date and any photos you submit, and we share this information with our business customers. We will not, however, publish personal data that includes your e-mail address, birthdate, physical address or phone number, unless you specifically give us or our business customers permission to do so. You can modify some of the information associated with your user account.
- Information Provided Without User Account. You are permitted to use the Services without creating a user account. However, you must be aware that even if you do not create a user account, you may not necessarily be anonymous and could still be personally identifiable to us through your IP address or to others by Your Content and personal information you post. Without creating a user account, you may still be contacted through the Services by DropThought or its business customers in response to your comments or posts, and you permit us or our business customers to do so.
- Use of Your Content: The information that you post to the Services is intended for public viewing, including your photos and comments, and by supplying Your Content, you give DropThought permission to publish your name, photos, comments, feedback and posts through the DropThought platform. We may also display this information on the Services and share it with our business customers. We or our business customers may further distribute it to a wider audience through third party sites, applications and services.
- Communications: When you use the Services, you are consenting to communications from DropThought and its business customers, whether or not you have created a user account. If you have a user account, you can manage your email preferences, but note that you cannot opt out of receiving certain administrative or legal notices from DropThought. If you access the Services from your phone via SMS text message, we may log your phone number, phone carrier, and the date and time of access.
- Services Activity: We may store information about your use of the Services. We also may store information that your computer or mobile device provides to us in connection with your use of the Services, such as your browser type, type of computer or mobile device, browser language, IP address, mobile carrier, unique device identifier, location, and requested and referring URLs.
Types of Cookies used on the Services include:
- Processes: Used to make the Services work in the way you expect it to. Example: a Cookie tells us if you have already signed up for an account.
- Authentication, Security, and Compliance: Used to prevent fraud, protect your data from unauthorized parties, and comply with legal requirements. Example: a Cookie tells us if you are logged in.
- Preferences: Used to remember information about how you prefer the Services to behave and look. Example: a Cookie tells us whether you have declined to allow us to use your phone’s geolocation data.
- Notifications: Used to allow notice of information or options that we think could improve your use of the Services. Example: a Cookie allows us to stop showing you the signup notification if you have already seen it.
- Advertising: Used to make advertising more relevant to users and more valuable to advertisers. Example, a Cookie that tells us if you have recently clicked on an ad.
- Analytics: Used to help us understand how visitors use the Services. For example, we use a Cookie that tells us how our search suggestions correlate to your interaction with the search page.
It may be possible to disable some (but not all) Cookies through your device or browser settings, but doing so may affect your ability to use the Services. The method for disabling cookies may vary by device and browser, but can usually be found in preferences or security settings.
We share information about you with third parties as follows:
- Advertisers: We may allow third parties on the Services to collect the same type of information for the same purposes as DropThought does for itself. They may be able to associate the information they collect with other information they have about you from other sources. We do not necessarily have access to or control over the Cookies they use.
- Service Providers: Some of our Servcies may be provided by third-party providers. We may outsource some of DropThought’s functions to third-party providers, such as technical and customer support, tracking and reporting functions, quality assurance testing, and other services. We may share information from or about you with these third-party providers so that they can perform their services or complete your requests.
- Aggregate Information: We do share user information and Your Content in the aggregate with third parties, including our business customers. For example, we may disclose the number of users that have been exposed to, or clicked on, advertisements.
- Investigations: We may investigate and disclose information from or about you if we have a good faith belief that such investigation or disclosure is (a) reasonably necessary to comply with legal process and law enforcement instructions and orders, such as a search warrant, subpoena, statute, judicial proceeding, or other legal process served on us; (b) helpful to prevent, investigate, or identify possible wrongdoing in connection with the Services; or (c) protect our rights, reputation, property, or that of our users, affiliates, or the public.
Data Retention and Account Termination
The Services is intended for general audiences and is not directed to children under 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you become aware that a child has provided us with personal information without parental consent, please contact us here. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information without parental consent, we take steps to remove such information and terminate the child’s account.
We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no method of transmission over the Internet or via mobile device, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
The information we obtain from or about you may be processed and stored in the United States, which may provide for different data protection rules than the country in which you reside. We comply with the EU & Swiss Safe Harbor Privacy Frameworks as set forth by the United States Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of data from the European Union and Switzerland. We have certified that we adhere to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access and enforcement. We will respond to requests relating to personal data within 30 days. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view our certification, please visit http://export.gov/safeharbor.